Our goal is to build a system that achieves human-level intelligence in the domains of vision, language and motor control. We are currently focused on visual perception problems such as recognition, segmentation and scene parsing. We are not building neural networks. You can learn more about our strategy here.
As a software engineer at Vicarious you will quickly come up to speed on recent advancements in machine learning, image processing and computer vision. You will apply this knowledge to improve the computational performance and accuracy of learning and inference algorithms used for vision tasks in a large variety of training environments. Working with other members of the team you will be driving a dense Python and C++ codebase that is pushing the state-of-the-art in AI forward.
As part of our team, you will…
- Develop and refine demonstrations of new research.
- Optimize and scale implementations of researched algorithms.
- Follow lead of Researchers and assist with development.
- Refine the output of the research department into reusable pieces where appropriate.
Desired skills and experience
- Preferred Masters or BS in CS/EE or a related discipline. We also consider exceptional applicants with other backgrounds.
- Extensive programming skills, ideally in Python and C, and a track record of translating ideas into prototypes quickly.
- Solid fundamentals in algorithms, math, and probability theory.
- Experience developing and testing ideas in a large scale setting.
- Experience with belief propagation and approximation methods.
- Experience with OpenGL a plus.
Desired personal qualities
- Ability to admit when wrong
- Fearlessness working outside your comfort zone
- Patience with others
- Described by others as the best researcher / engineer / thinker they know
- Intellectual breadth
- Sense of humor
- Work on the most important problems in the field with a team who will challenge and support you.
- Extremely generous salary and equity compensation.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance, as well as short and long term disability. We pay 100% of employee premiums and 50% of dependent premiums.
- Healthy, organic breakfast and lunch every day, customized to your diet preferences.
- Get to work easily! Our office is 60 seconds from BART and public transportation, and adjacent to a beautiful park.
- We do something fun and active as a team every week, like soccer, volleyball, badminton, or frisbee!
- Certified personal trainer who will design an exercise program that suits your fitness level and help you meet your goals.
- Company wireless plan. Never pay a mobile phone bill again.
- Executive and life coaching for everyone. Select between different coaches, depending on what types of skills you want to develop.
- Once a year, we take the entire company (including +1s and kids) on a weeklong vacation to Hawaii. Yes, it’s as awesome as it sounds.
- We have flexible hours and a family-friendly culture. Building the first intelligent machines is our life’s work, and we emphasize sustainability over crunch. Our board member and investor Dustin Moskovitz recently wrote an article that captures how we relate to our work.