The HERE Reality Capture & Processing (RCP) team in downtown Berkeley is expanding!
The RCP group designs and builds hardware and software for capturing, processing, and extracting information from street-level imagery, 3D Lidar data, aerial and satellite imagery, as well as dense GPS probe data from smartphones and vehicles. These rich datasets are used to power next-gen 3D consumer maps, navigation and assisted driving systems, and more. HERE Maps, a division of Nokia, provides detailed road and navigation data for nearly 100 countries, and can be found in four out of five vehicle in-dash navigation systems. Licensees of the HERE platform include Microsoft, Yahoo, Amazon, and Baidu.
Within RCP, the Image & Lidar Processing Team creates the software processing pipeline for transforming petabytes of raw data into usable information. This requires implementing the latest computer vision and machine learning algorithms and incorporating them into a robust, scalable processing pipeline. We are seeking a dynamic and experienced manager to lead a talented team of algorithm experts and software engineers. Example work this team does includes camera and lidar calibration, image color balancing/denoising/stitching/etc., stereo 3D reconstruction, object detection and recognition, and large-scale SLAM.
A successful candidate will have previously built and/or led a technical engineering team, including initiating R&D efforts and coordinating their implementation into production quality software modules. Candidates should possess the superior communication and leadership skills required to interact with a number of distributed teams and major stakeholders.
- Lead a team of computer vision and machine learning experts charged with developing algorithms to automate the detection and recognition of map features from multiple terrestrial, aerial, and satellite data sources.
- Oversee implementation of a robust, distributed cloud processing pipeline.
- Leadership within the Agile Scrum development methodology.
- Working closely with cross-team stakeholders on strategy and vision, as well as providing input on and clear identification for the content and prioritization of the feature backlog for your team.
- Participating in architecture and design discussions and reviews.
- Participating in cross-team strategy discussions within the Reality Capture and Processing Group.
- Advocating software development best practices and ensuring software produced by your team is very high quality.
- Providing career development guidance and performance feedback to team members.
- Recruiting and hiring top talent.
- Conducting financial planning and budgeting for your team.
- 5+ years of experience developing distributed systems in C/C++, Java or Python on Unix/Linux environments.
- 2+ years of leading, shaping, and growing software or research teams.
- Education: Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or equivalent. MS or PhD a plus.
Ideally, you also have some of the following:
- Experience architecting and building scalable cloud processing systems. AWS and EMR experience a plus.
- Experience with incremental delivery and continuous deployment.
- Good technical knowledge of computer vision and/or machine learning.
- Experience working on multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced, cross-team environment.
- Very strong communication and organizational skills.