|Title: Scientist||Posted: February 16, 2015|
|Company/Institution: Honda Research Institute|
|Location: Mountain View, CA|
Description: - Computer Vision (Job Number: P13F01)
- Multi-Modal Interaction (Job Number: P13F02)
- Driver Monitoring (Job Number: P13F03)
Honda Research Institute USA (HRI-US) is at the cutting edge of Honda's research and development activities. Inspired by Honda's global slogan - The Power of Dreams - we pursue emerging technologies and bring them into reality to make people happy, even as we are engaged daily in highly scientific, pioneering work. We realize that dreams don't come from organizations, systems, or money. They come from people, and we seek people who have such challenging spirits to work with us.
Computer Vision (Job Number: P13F01)
Honda Research Institute in Mountain View, California, has an opening in the area of computer vision based sensor fusion for mapping, localization, and related problems. Algorithms will be implemented online to process input from cameras and other sensors including IMU's, GPS, and sensor data transmitted over automotive CAN bus. The successful applicant will be a part of a research team developing and implementing a real-time robotic perception platform supporting research on advanced driver assistance systems and autonomous driving applications.
His/her responsibilities include:
* Research on sensor fusion for localization and mapping
* Develop software implementing proposed algorithms
* Employ sensor fusion techniques with multi-modal data
* Setup and run module regression tests using large collections of sensor data
* Benchmarking results against ground truth data
* PhD degree in Computer Science, EE or related field
* Strong experience in an area such as SLAM, Bayesian filtering, sensor fusion
* Broad knowledge of computer vision, robotics and machine learning
* Experience with online sensor processing of cameras, lidar, GPS, CAN bus
* Excellent programming skills in C++ and Linux
* GPGPU programming, runtime optimization
* Experience programming in robotics application frameworks
such as ROS (Robot Operating System)
* Working knowledge of popular libraries such as OpenCV, PCL and Eigen
* Experience working with GIS data and coordinate systems
Multi-Modal Interaction Researcher (Job Number: P13F02)
The successful candidate will be expected to engage in research and prototyping of novel, next-generation automotive interfaces using multiple modalities working together, like speech, haptic sensors and visual displays. He/she will be working with a team of diverse backgrounds, and expect to participate in all aspects of the creative process, from concept ideas to execution and evaluation of those concepts.
The candidate will be responsible for using information from various sensor signal streams (e.g., cameras, depth sensors, microphones, CAN bus data) and apply data fusion and inference methods to understand driver behavior and intent in order to create new interactive experiences for driver and passengers. As a member of the group we encourage the candidates to contribute new research ideas and to participate in presentations and scientific publications.
* Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
* Strong background in computer vision, computer graphics, signal processing, interaction design, machine learning
* Excellent skills in C/C++, Python, Linux
* Versatility with a variety of relevant APIs such as OpenCV, OpenNI, OpenGL
Driver Monitoring Researcher (Job Number: P13F03)
Honda Research Institute USA, Inc. in Mountain View, California, has an opening for research and development of multimodal information fusion for driver behavior understanding. The project goal is to understand driver's behavior and intention by combining information from visual and speech information. The candidate will be responsible for using information from various sensor signal streams (e.g., cameras, depth sensors, eye trackers, microphones, CAN bus data) and applying data fusion and inference methods to understand driver behavior in order to make a meaningful interaction between the driver and car. As a member of the group we encourage the candidates to contribute new research ideas and to participate in presentations and scientific publications.
* Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
* Strong background in computer vision, signal processing, data fusion, probabilistic inference, machine learning
* Excellent skills in C/C++, Linux
* Versatility with a variety of relevant tools such as OpenCV, Speech recognizers
* Experience with real-time systems e.g., gesture and activity recognition, driver monitoring
* Experience in implementing multimodal systems
Application Instructions: To apply, please send a cover letter and your resume to
with the subject line clearly indicating the job number you are applying for.
Name your attachments as "FirstName.LastName.OrganizationName.cv.pdf"
Candidates must have the legal right to work for Honda Research Institute in the U.S.A.
Please note that we receive a large number of applications and cannot communicate with every one of you. We will carefully review each application and contact you if there is a good match.