The computer science and applied mathematics department at Ecole des Ponts ParisTech (http://www.enpc.fr) and the Center for Learning and Visual Computing (http://cvc.centrale-ponts.fr) are searching to recruit a highly-motivated candidate for a PhD in the area of computer vision and machine learning.
The above PhD will be carried out under the supervision of Prof. Nikos Komodakis (http://cvc-komodakis.centrale-ponts.fr) and its overall aim will be to make important contributions and to advance the state of the art on 'big data' learning for scene understanding from images. Two closely interrelated themes that will be thoroughly explored in this context will be:
We are searching for an outstanding candidate that has strong interest in performing cutting edge research in the above areas, great motivation, and a desire to learn. Prospective applicants should have
- the proposal of rich and powerful models for scene understanding, which should be capable of effectively utilizing very large amount of training data towards providing image interpretations that are both significantly more accurate and also much more holistic compared to the current state of the art, and
- the development of powerful computational algorithms and tools for very large scale learning that should permit the efficient automatic construction of the aforementioned rich models from training datasets of huge size.
Any prior publication(s) in a high profile computer vision/machine learning journal (e.g., TPAMI, IJCV, JMLR) or a top quality conference from the above areas (CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, ICML, NIPS) would also be an important plus.
- an exceptionally strong academic record with an excellent degree (M.Sc., M.Eng. or equivalent) in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field (e.g. Electrical Engineering)
- demonstrable interest in computer vision and machine learning,
- strong mathematical understanding, and
- very good programming skills.
Successful applicants will join an expanding research group consisting of more than 25 faculty members seeking scientific excellence in the area of learning and visual computing, and will be submerged into an "interdisciplinary" environment with over 75 permanent research scientists.
Deadline for applications: Open until filled
The position is associated with a full PhD scholarship that on top of PhD allowance offers full health and retirement benefits.
The application package consists of a motivation letter, full CV, names and contact details of two references, transcript of grades from under-graduate and graduate program, and a link to a Masters thesis (as well as to any relevant publications).
Applications should be submitted via electronic mail directly to Prof. Nikos Komodakis (email@example.com).