|Title: Robotics & Vision Internship||Posted: May 14, 2015|
|Location: Pasadena, CA|
Description: Position Purpose
The candidate will perform duties in the R&D team of iRobot. The candidate will participate
in the optimization, improvement, enhancement, and benchmarking of iRobot technologies. In
particular, the focus will be on iRobot’s ViPR (Visual Pattern Recognition) and vSLAM (visual
Simultaneous Localization and Mapping) systems. Alternative activities will involve the development
of novel navigation algorithms based on iRobot’s NorthStar sensor. Additionally the
candidate will participate in prototyping and evaluating novel sensors and robot assemblies.
The candidate’s project would be selected according to skill level and interest of the applicant.
The following list presents some of the current projects:
• Comparison and benchmarking of the state-of-the-art feature detectors and descriptors for
• Enhancement of the current ViPR algorithm by the inclusion of alternative visual cues such
as color or shape.
• Development of clustering techniques for efficient storage and retrieval of feature points.
• Evaluation and implementation of the state-of-the-art object class recognition algorithms.
• Evaluation and implementation of the state-of-the-art RGBD recognition algorithms.
• Development of fusion algorithms for a variety of sensors (cameras, IMU, odometry)
• Development of robot navigation primitives for path planning, obstacle avoidance, and visual
• Development of SLAM systems using information from a variety of sensors (cameras, RGBD,
• Prototype, interface, and integrate alternative sensors (e.g., inertial motion sensors, deadreckoning
sensors, RGBD cameras) into novel robot assemblies.
The typical work cycle involves research and algorithm development (typically in Matlab),
algorithm testing, refinement and benchmarking, followed by C/C++ code implementation and
integration into the final application. Alternatively, the development cycle entitles the assembly
of an electro-mechanical system, implementation of SW for integration of different components,
and evaluation of the desired application.
• 3rd or 4th year BS student or graduate student.
• Excellent mathematical background, with solid foundation in probability theory, systems
theory, multivariate calculus, nonlinear optimization.
• Proficient in C/C++ and Matlab (or Python), with good documentation and code organization
• Experience with pattern recognition and computer vision a definite plus.
• Experience with robotics and control systems a definite plus.
• Creative and independent thinker, willing to take on challenges and learn new fields.
• Work well in a fast-paced, small team environment.
• If you’re looking for a job where you can exercise your mathematical and algorithmic skills,
and are interested in doing work that can lead to graduate studies in computer vision
and/or robotics, this is it!
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Application Instructions: *Interested candidates should send email to email@example.com