Video search is a huge portion of all search queries made, and that share continues to grow as smart phones and tablets become more prevalent and people are browsing for entertainment on the bus or in bed at night. There is a dramatic shift occurring in how and what people watch. Consumers are increasingly using the internet to find the videos they want to watch as opposed to watching standard television. There is far more content available on the web than just YouTube, but most users do not know what this content is or where to access it. This includes TV shows, movies, music, sports, short clip viral content in ecosystems like vine, and a wide variety of other content. Bing video search is committed to providing the best experience for accessing this diverse and rapidly growing collection of videos, and helping to define the future of video entertainment.
The Bing Video Relevance Team develops the advanced search technology that powers Bing video search. We are responsible for delivering the best videos for user's queries and browsing. It's more than just finding a web page that matches a query - it's about understanding the query, determining the popularity of videos and domains, data mining user trends, incorporating click patterns, understanding the content of the video from the pixels in the video and the page and domain on which it's found. Pulling together and combining information from multiple sources to provide the user with a result that best matches their intent. Big data, machine learning, image processing, distributed computing, information retrieval - it's all part of the job.
The Bing Video Relevance Team is looking for a talented researcher/developer to help us develop our next generation of ranking algorithms (with potential to work as a tech lead in the area). We are looking for a self-motivated and passionate individual who is interested in applying machine learning, data mining, and query understanding to deliver the best search results on the web and make an impact on millions of users. You should have strong technical and coding skills and be able to apply research concepts in new and innovative ways.
This is a fun and fast paced environment, where developers are empowered to innovate. This is a great opportunity to work on something highly strategic to Microsoft.
Primary responsibilities of the position:
- Developing new methods and techniques for improving the relevance of our search results
- Utilizing machine learning to train our next generation of ranking and relevance algorithms
- Performing data mining to understand and take advantage of past user behavior
- Measure relevance and customer satisfaction
- Collaborate with Microsoft Research and other engineering and product groups within Bing search to deliver the most relevant and thought leading search engine available
This job requires strong technical skills. You must have the following skills and experience:
- Experience in applying machine learning/data processing/statistical modeling to real-world problems. Knowledge of search/ranking algorithms and their effectiveness metrics is a big plus.
- Solid software development and engineering experience (C/C++, C#, SQL), background in developing web services is a plus
- Great design and problem solving skills, with a strong bias for quality and engineering excellence at scale
- MS or higher degree in CS or equivalent (Ph.D. preferred)
- The most successful candidates will possess the ability to learn new techniques from textbooks or research papers + strong engineering skills
At Microsoft, we believe that diversity enriches our performance and products, the communities where we live and work, and the lives of our employees. As our workforce evolves to reflect the growing diversity of our communities and the global marketplace, we continue to expand our efforts to understand, value, and incorporate differences as we help other realize their potential. Come explore diversity at Microsoft!