|Title: Software Engineer - Maps Automation||Posted: September 23, 2015|
|Location: San Francisco, CA|
Are you excited by the idea of mining rich sensor data to unearth valuable information that will help optimize logistics and transportation across the world? Are you excited by the prospect of helping move people and things more efficiently around the world? If you have answered yes to any of these questions, you might be a great fit for this team at Uber!
As part of Uber's larger mapping effort, we are building data pipelines that extract valuable bits of information from imagery and GPS data in order to optimize and augment maps. This will have a direct impact on both riders and drivers by helping them connect faster and more efficiently. We are looking for a seasoned software engineer who has a solid grasp of machine learning theory and statistical inference - someone who is able to whiteboard some theory while at the same time is able to roll up his/her sleeves and get coding. We expect the person to be able to read and understand research papers and be able to translate the ideas into efficient code. We also expect the person to be data oriented - i.e. be able to set up experiments to measure things that will in turn drive decisions. You will be rubbing shoulders with world class scientists and engineers, looking to revolutionize transportation. You will get a chance to use your skills to solve some of the toughest problems in the geo-spatial domain using state-of-the-art compute infrastructure and tools.
HERE ARE THE KINDS OF SKILLS WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Strong programming skills in either Java, C++, Python, or C#
- Experience with developing big-data processing pipelines over Hadoop or similar technologies.
- Experience with developing systems for detection, recognition, classification, entity-matching, etc.
- Experience with machine learning/statistical inferencing technologies such as random forests, deep nets., bayesian nets, etc.
- Experience in mapping, computer vision, or computational geometry is a plus.
- Ph.D. in a quantitative field preferred but not required.
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
- We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Application Instructions: Please apply at the following link