|Title: Patent Examiner in the field of pattern recognition||Posted: May 31, 2013|
|Company/Institution: European Patent Office|
|Location: The Hague (Netherlands)|
Description: The job of a European patent examiner demands a unique combination of scientific expertise, analytical thinking, language skills and an interest in intellectual property law.
Candidates must meet the following formal requirements:
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation.
- Full university degree in physics, chemistry, engineering or natural sciences.
- The degree should be relevant to the technical field in which you would like to work.
Generally, an excellent knowledge of one official language (English, French and German) and the ability to understand the other two.
In exceptional cases, excellent knowledge of one official language and the ability to understand another. In such a case, the Office may also consider offering a fixed-term contract (for a maximum of three years) instead of permanent employment. Candidates recruited on that basis may be appointed as permanent employees if, no later than three months before expiry of the contract, they demonstrate that they have reached the level of knowledge of the third language stipulated in the contract.
You should also have a genuine interest in technology, an eye for detail and an analytical mind.
Work experience in industry is not essential, but would be an advantage.
As to the field of pattern recognition, we can inform you about the following. It would be preferable to have knowledge and experience in one or more of the following subjects:
- tools of image processing, e.g. for de-noising, filtering, descriptors, segmentation, feature extraction
- statistical signal/image analysis and insight in the underlying background, e.g. Bayes theory, multivariate distributions, Markov models
- broad knowledge and interest in physics and technology
- classification techniques, e.g. support vector machines, discriminant analysis neural networks, boosting
- a PhD encompassing the above qualities is not strictly required, but would be an advantage
Application Instructions: Please visit:
for further information.
The on-line application form can be found on this page, as well as information on our social package.