Sony Electronics, Inc. US Research Center currently has an opening for a Senior Applied Research Engineer in our San Jose location. This position is responsible for researching and developing algorithms and architectures for integration into advanced multi-media platforms and products. Responsibilities will include investigating and utilizing complex engineering and mathematical principles to develop core technologies, compose algorithm structures and find solutions to problems. This will include the assessment and improvement of algorithm performance on a variety of platforms. This position also requires the engineer to analyze and determine system standards and test procedures. As a Senior Applied Research Engineer you will be responsible for writing invention disclosures for developed algorithms and works with patent attorneys to secure intellectual property.
This individual will work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors and demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Responsible for networking with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise.
- Ph.D. degree in computer sciences or related field is required
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of research experience in a related industry
- Excellent knowledge of machine learning and computer vision theories are required
- Experience on research for video/image classification or action/scene recognition is preferred
- Experience on research of either neural network, on-line learning or semi-supervised learning is a plus
- Excellent knowledge of C/C++ and Matlab is required
- Experience on parallel computing programming or pc-cluster administration is a plus
- Experience writing Invention Disclosures is preferred
- Must be self-motivated and creative, with proven analytical skills, excellent research record, and ability to communicate effectively
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally if required