|Title: Fully funded PhD position in medical image computing and machine learning||Posted: August 3, 2017|
|Company/Institution: Medical University of Vienna, Austria|
|Location: Vienna, Austria|
|Department: Ophthalmic Image Analysis (OPTIMA) lab at the Department of Ophthalmology|
Description: The Ophthalmic Image Analysis (OPTIMA) lab (optima.meduniwien.ac.at) at the Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University of Vienna, Austria, is offering a fully funded full time PhD position.
The focus of the research project is on learning and predicting patient-specific disease progression and treatment response from in-vivo imaging (longitudinal series of 3D optical coherence tomography (OCT) images) and non-imaging data (i.e. genetics) using computer vision and machine learning methods. These data-driven disease-progression models allow to assess individualized risk and prognosis of retinal disease. Advancements will have a real world impact on clinical management of patients suffering from macular diseases, a leading cause of blindness today.
We are seeking outstanding PhD candidates to complement our interdisciplinary, multinational research group. Your highly attractive PhD project will be embedded in the currently exploding field of AI for retinal image analysis. It may include aspects of medical image analysis and machine learning topics (deep learning, generative models, data-driven modeling) on extremely well-curated large-scale longitudinal OCT datasets (examples: here, here and here).
- MSc degree or equivalent in computer science or another relevant discipline
- Preferably background in machine learning, computer vision, statistics, biomedical imaging or related discipline
- Strong programming (e.g. C/C++, Python, MATLAB, or Julia) and applied math skills
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, as well as written and oral communication skills in English.
- You will be immersed into an interdisciplinary environment working closely with a team of computer scientists, software engineers and medical experts.
- As a close partner of the Vienna Reading Center (vrc.meduniwien.ac.at), the OPTIMA group has access to extremely large sets of ophthalmic images. The lab is well-equipped with a dedicated high-performance computing cluster containing the latest generation CPU/GPUs.
- You will have the opportunity to work in the promising and currently exploding fields of machine learning (i.e. deep learning), big data and medical computer vision.
- The group keeps close collaboration with several high-performance academic research institutions, as well as partnership with imaging device and pharmaceutical companies.
- The Medical University of Vienna is an international center of excellence and one of the largest research institutions in Europe located at the heart of historic Vienna. The OPTIMA lab is one of the world wide leading groups in ophthalmic image analysis.
Application Instructions: Please send applications including a CV and a cover letter indicating your interests and research experience, and/or any inquiries to: wolf-dieter.vogl (at) meduniwien.ac.at.