Description: Research Scientist - 3D Computer Vision & Augmented Reality
The Visual Computing team in Bosch Research and Technology Center (Palo Alto office) is seeking an enthusiastic and creative expert with a strong desire to drive technology development in this domain towards viable solutions to growing market needs.
Our Visual Computing group is responsible for shaping the future user experience of Bosch products by developing cutting-edge technologies in the fields of computer graphics, computer vision, augmented/mixed reality, scientific visualization, visual analytics, and HCI. We focus on solutions to hard challenges in using visual and other modes of communication for natural user interaction. We work with internal partners at various Bosch business units to transfer our ideas and solutions into future products. We also actively collaborate with leading groups in academia and industry to promote research ideas and publish research findings in internationally renowned conferences and journals.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Lead and conduct advanced research and engineering on visual computing technologies and systems, including 3D computer vision, augmented/mixed reality, wearable computing, and vision graphics (e.g., image/video-based 3D modeling and rendering) particularly those related to Bosch business.
- Together with an international team of experts, drive the design and implementation of innovative solutions that improve the user experience of next generation Bosch products such as advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), security systems, smart home and building solutions, internet of things, robotics and autonomous systems, and industry 4.0 applications.
- Actively promote ideas from visual computing research to product development to enable future Bosch business.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related fields with 1+ years experience; M.Sc. with 3+ years experience.
- Hands-on experience and in-depth knowledge of 3D computer vision and augmented reality technologies, including 2D/3D tracking (e.g., PTAM), camera calibration, 3D reconstruction, image/video-based rendering and modeling.
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills, proficient with scripting languages (e.g., Perl, Python) and visual computing related libraries (e.g., OpenCV, OpenGL, ARToolkit).
- 3+ years of development and prototyping experience in large, high-quality software systems, especially real-time computer vision and graphics systems.
- Passion for quality products, software development principles and best practices.
- Strong research and problem solving skills.
- Up to date with the latest findings and trends in computer vision and augmented reality.
- Excellent communication, teamwork and technical writing skills.
Desired Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated success in real-time 3D computer vision and augmented reality system or product development.
- Demonstrated success in any leadership role of product development.
- Excellent publication record in leading visual computing venues (e.g., ICCV, CVPR, ISMAR, VR, SIGGRAPH).
- Experience in mobile and web-based platform development.